Helping Families Regain Their Strength
Jackson MS Child Custody Attorney
Reliable Legal Representation for Child Custody Matters in Mississippi
Child custody is one critical legal issue to be resolved in a Mississippi divorce. Unfortunately, it is also one of the most contested.
As a parent, we want what’s best for our children, and as we go through a divorce, we may find that our beliefs and goals differ from our soon-to-be ex-spouses’.
Protecting You and Your Child's Best Interests in Mississippi. Call Our Family Law Office at (601) 202-5594 Today!
Jackson child custody lawyer Mark Chinn is highly experienced and passionate about protecting children and parents in custody proceedings.
At Chinn & Associates, our custody lawyers will work closely with you to clearly define your custody goals. We will then take the necessary steps to achieve these goals, whether through negotiation, mediation, or litigation. Through your family law case, we will be available to you to answer your questions and provide moral or legal support.
How is Child Custody Determined in Mississippi?
In Mississippi, child custody is determined by what the court believes would be in the child’s best interests. These decisions are based on factors such as:
- Each parent’s ability to maintain consistency and continuity in the child’s life, community, and education
- Each parent’s ability to take care of the child’s physical custody, emotional, developmental, educational, and any special needs
- The ability of each parent to maintain a loving and nurturing relationship with the child
Although the courts in Mississippi do not officially consider the child’s preferences, they may factor it in when considered the child’s best interests.
Can Parents Create Their Own Custody Agreement?
If neither parent can arrange their custody agreement, the court will most likely honor it. However, if they cannot agree, each parent will need to attend a custody hearing. Under Mississippi law, joint custody is an option, and grandparents’ rights are legally recognized.
Mississippi adopted the Uniform Child Custody Act in 1982. This federal law requires each state to honor and enforce child custody rulings made by courts in other states.
If you are a parent and need assistance with you agreement, contact us today!
How Can a Father Get Full Custody in MS?
If the child's father wants full custody in Mississippi, he must establish paternity. In MS, when a couple who is not married has a child together, the mother automatically has sole legal custody of the child. Therefore, the father can only claim those legal rights that he asserts on a paternity test.
What Legal Rights are Included in a Custody Agreement?
- Division of holidays and vacation time.
- School schedule.
- Decisions that will affect the child's wellbeing such as education and medical care.
- How much visitation time will the child spend with each parent.
- Transportation between parents' homes.
What Qualifies as Emergency Custody in Mississippi
In Mississippi, emergency custody is a temporary order that gives one parent sole custody of a child when there is an immediate danger to the child's safety.
A judge can grant emergency custody without a hearing, typically lasting up to 14 days.
Two things to remember after qualifying an emergency in Mississippi include:
- The family law attorney can help you file the necessary paperwork and represent you in court. In some cases, emergency custody may be granted without a hearing. However, if the other parent does not agree to the legal custody arrangement, a hearing will be scheduled.
- The judge will then decide whether or not to grant emergency custody. If you are granted emergency custody, it is important to understand that it is only temporary. A permanent custody arrangement will still need to be made through the court system.
If you believe that your child is in danger, you should call our child custody lawyers serving Jackson, MS, as soon as possible.
Understanding Joint Custody in Mississippi
When parents divorce or separate, the issue of child custody can be one of the most contentious and emotional aspects of the process. In Mississippi, the courts generally favor joint custody arrangements, which allow both parents to share in the responsibility and decision-making for their children.
Joint custody can take many forms, including:
- Joint physical custody - the children spend roughly equal time with both parents
- Joint legal custody - both parents have a say in major decisions affecting the children, such as education, healthcare, and religion
- Combination of joint physical and legal custody
When determining joint custody, the court will consider a variety of factors, including the child's age and needs, each parent's ability to provide for the child's physical and emotional well-being, and the parents' ability to communicate and cooperate effectively.
At Chinn & Associates, our experienced child custody attorneys can help you navigate the complexities of joint custody and ensure that your rights and your child's best interests are protected throughout the process. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Custody Lawyers with Over 40 Years of Experience in Your Custody Case
Serving families in Jackson and throughout the surrounding communities in Mississippi, we at Chinn & Associates are dedicated to conceiving and delivering the highest quality legal counsel in all custody and visitation-related matters. This may include:
- Drafting a workable custody agreement in divorce negotiations or mediation.
- Disputing custody in divorce litigation.
- Addressing the issue of grandparents’ rights in regard to custody and visitation.
- Co-parenting after a divorce.
- Determining how custody may influence child support.
- Representing clients’ interests in physical custody hearings.
- Custody modifications and enforcement, when necessary.
- Child custody legal issue related to domestic abuse.
Meticulous preparation and a strong focus on client service are two of the factors that allow our legal team to meet with success in child custody and visitation matters. With a unique talent for family law and 40 years of legal experience, custody and visitation lawyer serving Jackson, Mark Chinn, is here to help you.
Founder of Chinn & Associates, Mark A. Chinn is a seasoned Jackson, Mississippi family law attorney who has dedicated his career to helping clients through some of the most difficult times in their lives. He is dedicated to using his talent and experience to empower his clients to lead the lives they want to lead.Read More
“Extraordinary Custody Result” - Anonymous
“He was a steady voice of reason during an emotional time” - Anonymous