Helping Families Regain Their Strength
Jackson, MS Child Custody Attorney
Reliable Legal Representation for Child Custody Matters in Mississippi
Child custody is one of the most important issues to be resolved in a divorce. It is also one of the most contested. As parents, we want what’s best for our children, and as we go through a divorce, we may find that our beliefs and goals differ from our soon-to-be ex-spouses’. When custody disputes arise or you simply need guidance regarding a child custody agreement, a child custody attorney can offer invaluable support.
Protecting you and your child's best interests in Madison & Rankin Counties. Call our firm at (601) 202-5594 today!
Jackson child custody attorney Mark Chinn is highly experienced and passionate about protecting children and parents in custody proceedings. At Chinn & Associates, we will work closely with you to clearly define your custody goals. We will then take the necessary steps to achieve these goals, whether through negotiation, mediation, or litigation. Through your child custody case, we will be available to you to answer your questions and provide moral or legal support.
How is Child Custody Determined in Mississippi?
In Mississippi, child custody is determined by what the court believes would be in the child’s best interests. These decisions are based on factors such as:
- Each parent’s ability to maintain consistency and continuity in the child’s life, community, and education
- Each parent’s ability to take care of the child’s physical, emotional, developmental, educational, and any special needs
- The ability of each parent to maintain a loving and nurturing relationship with the child
Although the courts do not officially consider the child’s preferences, they may factor it in when considered the child’s best interests.
Can Parents Create Their Own Custody Agreement?
If the parents are able to arrange their own custody agreement, the court will most likely honor it. However, if they are unable to agree, the parents will need to attend a custody hearing. Under Mississippi law, joint custody is an option, and grandparents’ rights are legally recognized. Mississippi adopted the Uniform Child Custody Act in 1982. This federal law requires each state to honor and enforce child custody rulings made by courts in other states.
What Rights are Included in a Custody Agreement?
- Division of holidays and vacation time.
- School schedule.
- Decisions that will affect the child's wellbeing such as education and medical care.
- How much time the child will spend with each parent.
- Transportation between parents' homes.
How to Get Emergency Custody in MS
If you are seeking emergency custody of a child in Mississippi, it is important to understand the process and what steps you need to take. emergency custody is typically only granted in cases where there is an immediate danger to the child's safety or well-being.
- The attorney can help you file the necessary paperwork and represent you in court. In some cases, emergency custody may be granted without a hearing. However, if the other parent does not agree to the custody arrangement, a hearing will be scheduled.
- The judge will then decide whether or not to grant emergency custody. If you are granted emergency custody, it is important to understand that it is only temporary. A permanent custody arrangement will still need to be made through the court system.
If you believe that your child is in danger, you should contact a Jackson child custody attorney as soon as possible.
Lawyer with Over 40 Years of Experience for Your Custody Case
Serving families in Jackson and throughout the surrounding communities in Mississippi, we at Chinn & Associates are dedicated to conceiving and delivering the highest quality legal counsel in all custody-related matters. This may include:
- Drafting a workable custody agreement in divorce negotiations or mediation.
- Disputing custody in divorce litigation.
- Addressing the issue of grandparents’ rights in regard to custody and visitation.
- Co-parenting after a divorce.
- Determining how custody may influence child support.
- Representing clients’ interests in custody hearings.
- Custody modifications and enforcement, when necessary.
- Child custody matters related to domestic abuse.
Meticulous preparation and a strong focus on client service are two of the factors that allow our team to meet with success in child custody matters. With a unique talent for family law and 40 years of legal experience, Jackson custody lawyer Mark Chinn is here to help you.
Call our firm at (601) 202-5594 to discuss your custody case and how we can assist you.
Founder of Chinn & Associates, Mark A. Chinn is a seasoned Jackson, Mississippi family law attorney who has dedicated his career to helping clients through some of the most difficult times in their lives. He is dedicated to using his talent and experience to empower his clients to lead the lives they want to lead.Read More
“Mark and Janeah both fought hard to help me through a difficult time.” - Chris M.
“I personally would recommend no other firm” - Beau B.