Co-Parenting After Divorce
Custody & Visitation Lawyer in Jackson, MS
One of the most difficult aspects of a divorce for most parents will be the impact it will have on their children. As a matter of fact, many parents delay divorce or decide to stay together to try to protect their children. Although divorce significantly impacts children no matter the circumstances at hand, there are measures spouses can take through co-parenting to lessen the impact and help children face a more stable future.
As a Jackson divorce attorney, one of the most common questions Mark Chinn faces involves parents asking whether to tell children about their divorce or separation. Some parents believe it is better not to tell their children, or to tell them very little about their divorce, but Mark Chinn believes that honesty is the best policy. You must realize that, as parents, you are the center of your children’s universe. They probably already know that something is amiss, and providing them with honest, clear information can make all the difference. A void of information may prove far more harmful, as they may think matters are worse than they are, and may feel far less stable.
We recommend that you consult with a child development specialist to discuss how to communicate with your children regarding your divorce, as their age, maturity, and other factors may come into play. We can also send you some reference materials upon request, which can help with this important issue.
Interested in learning more? Read on or call us at (601) 202-5594 to discuss your case.
Promoting Children’s Resilience Through Co-Parenting
Children are often more resilient than we think. We can promote this resilience through an effective co-parenting plan that addresses a child’s unique needs and the specific circumstances of the case at hand. At Chinn & Associates, we believe in helping parents through their divorce proceedings in such a way as to keep the family intact. The marriage may be legally at an end, but the family is still standing and should be protected.
A collaborative approach to co-parenting may be best, where parents work together to help their children after divorce. This may include:
- Making sure that the child knows that both parents will still be very involved in his or her life.
- Keeping in close communication with the child at all times.
- Speaking and acting in ways that promote feelings of security, with warmth and affection, providing emotional support.
- Not speaking negatively of the other parent to the child or in the child’s presence.
- Working together with the other parent to make decisions that positively impact the child’s lives.
If parents have trouble working together, parallel parenting is another approach that may be taken to co-parenting after divorce. This may include:
- Avoiding situations or communication that may create conflict.
- Avoiding communication about minor things.
- Communicating by email or letter that is factual, concise, and business-like.
- Ignoring, rather than arguing back, regarding parenting criticisms or other negative communication.
- Accepting that there may be more than one way to parent a child and that a child may be parented in more than one way.
- Not criticizing the other parent directly, in front of the child, or to the child.
The goal in any divorce and custody agreement should be to promote the long-term well-being of all parties involved. Contact our firm at (601) 202-5594 to learn more about co-parenting after divorce.
Strategizing Using Your Goals
We work closely with clients to ensure that our trial strategy reflects their objectives. The goal is to give them everything necessary to move forward securely.
Caps on Our Legal Fees
Chinn & Associates, PC puts caps on how much your case will cost, ensuring that your team finds the most efficient and effective solution possible.
Meticulous Trial Preparation
Our firm utilizes specific witness scripts, thorough research, and in-house drafting of decrees to ensure that we are well-prepared long before your trial starts.
Mission-Oriented Law Practice
When you turn to Chinn & Associates, PC, you're paying for results. That's how we've structured our prices, so you'll have a speedy and efficient solution.