Helping Families Regain Their Strength
Family Law Basics
Helpful Insight from an Experienced Family Law Firm
Family law is an area of law that deals with the many legal matters pertaining to families, including marriage, divorce, child custody, adoption, annulment, paternity, visitation, and more. A single one of these issues can present a number of complexities, but many family law matters involve a number of issues at once. A divorce, for example, will also include the determination of spousal support, property division, and child custody and support if children are involved.
Family law matters can be resolved inside or outside of the courtroom. Negotiated settlements can be helpful, as can mediation, as an alternative to the high cost and considerable time associated with courtroom litigation. In any approach to a family law case, it is crucial to have a competent legal professional by your side.
At Chinn & Associates, we provide experienced and insightful family law counsel in Jackson and throughout the surrounding areas in Mississippi. Founded by Mark Chinn, a lawyer with 40 years of experience in this complex and emotional field, our firm has the resources you need on your side in your family law case.
Some of our specific areas of practice in family law include:
- Divorce. In Mississippi, a divorce may be filed based on fault (a grounds divorce) or based on irreconcilable differences (a no-fault divorce).
- Divorce Mediation. With this uncontested, collaborative approach to divorce, spouses agree to work with a neutral third-party, a mediator, to resolve all issues related to their divorce.
- Child-Involved Family Law Issues. We can offer guidance and representation related to child custody, co-parenting, visitation, child support, and all other family law matters that involve children.
- Alimony. In a divorce, one spouse may be required to pay alimony to the other spouse. We can help with alimony agreements, modifications, and enforcement.
- Property Division. This is another issue that must be resolved in a divorce. Our attorneys can help with the division of marital property under Mississippi’s equitable distribution laws.
Whether you need to discuss a prenuptial agreement before a marriage, wonder if you qualify for an annulment, or need guidance during a divorce, we at Chinn & Associates can provide competent representation. Family law is an important and difficult area of law to practice, but we are up for the challenge.
Call our offices at (601) 202-5594 for help with family law in Jackson, Mississippi.
Founder of Chinn & Associates, Mark A. Chinn is a seasoned Jackson, Mississippi family law attorney who has dedicated his career to helping clients through some of the most difficult times in their lives. He is dedicated to using his talent and experience to empower his clients to lead the lives they want to lead.Read More
“Mark and his associate, Janeah Kerr, did not miss a beat!” - Attorney Patricia R. Williams
“Effective and Ethical Attorney” - PV