Chinn & Associates is open and fully operational. For safety, we “Gotomeeting” for virtual conferences. Courts and Clerks remain open for all business except in-person hearings. We can complete 95% of our work under the current scenario! Click here to read more.

Helping Families Regain Their Strength

Irreconcilable Differences Divorce

Helping Clients File for No-Fault Divorce in Madison & Rankin Counties

Irreconcilable differences divorces, sometimes called “no-fault” divorces, are authorized by Mississippi State Statute Number 93-5-2. This statute was passed by the Mississippi Legislature in 1976 to afford people who wanted a divorce an opportunity to obtain a divorce without any allegation of fault by either party. Both parties must agree to divorce, however, and must come to an agreement regarding all issues related to the legal end of a marriage: property distribution, custody, support, and more.

An irreconcilable differences divorce may be in your best interests, but it is important to have a competent lawyer who can protect your interests. You may have specific needs and concerns, and by protecting your rights through divorce proceedings, your Jackson divorce attorney can help you pursue an advantageous outcome. Your post-divorce life can be a bright and stable one with the right attorney in your corner.Contact

Serving Madison & Rankin Counties for 40 years. Contact Chinn & Associates today to discuss your divorce options.

Spouses Must Agree on All Issues in an Irreconcilable Differences Divorce

The Irreconcilable Differences Divorce Statute allows for a divorce by agreement of the parties. Agreement of the parties is essential, as no irreconcilable differences divorce can be forced upon either party. The statute requires the parties to agree as to the obtaining of a divorce and to custody and support of the children, settlement of any property rights between the parties, payment of debts, distribution of personal possessions, payment of alimony, and all other things and matters and issues between the parties. Without such an agreement, the Final Decree of Divorce cannot be obtained.

The Irreconcilable Differences Divorce Process

  • With an irreconcilable divorce in Mississippi, the procedure is to file a Joint Complaint for Divorce in the Chancery Court where either party resides or to serve a Complaint for Divorce where the Defendant resides. If a Joint Complaint is filed, then the parties are obviously in agreement and may proceed. If the Complaint is served upon the opposing party, however, no divorce can be obtained without that party ultimately entering into an agreement for divorce.
  • In either case, after 60 days has run from the date of the filing of the Joint Complaint, or the service of the Complaint on the other party, the Final Decree of Divorce may be presented to the court. At the time of presentation of the Final Decree of Divorce, the parties must have executed the agreement set forth above. In addition, some courts require the parties to execute a financial statement for submission to the court.
  • During the 60-day waiting period, a divorce on the grounds of irreconcilable differences may not be obtained. The Legislature designed this waiting period to ensure that people really want to obtain divorces. Any party may stop the divorce process not only within the 60-day period but during the period after the running of the 60 days before the filing of the Final Decree of Divorce.
  • It must be noted that the divorce is not automatically final 60 days after the filing of the Complaint. As a matter of fact, it normally takes 1 to 2 weeks after the running of the 60 days for the attorney to arrange an appointment with the Chancellor to sign the Final Decree. This depends on the Court schedules and the Court dockets, as well as the schedules of the attorneys. Every divorce client should be aware that there will be some delay following the running of the 60 days. A divorce exactly at the end of 60 days should not be expected.

In addition to proceeding by Joint Complaint, attorneys frequently build into every fault complaint an alternative allegation of a divorce on the grounds of irreconcilable differences. This allows the parties to reach an agreement after the fault complaint is filed and then decide to proceed on the grounds of irreconcilable differences. If that is the case, then the process is the same.

Irreconcilable Differences Divorce Attorney Serving Jackson, MS

Many rights are involved with regard to divorces on the grounds of irreconcilable differences. These rights affect the future for all parties, especially children. No one should enter into a divorce on the grounds of irreconcilable differences without having consulted an attorney. With 40 years of legal experience, Jackson divorce lawyer Mark Chinn can provide the level of counsel and support you need.

Contact our firm at (601) 202-5594 to learn more about how we can help you.

Meet Our Founding Attorney

Forging Strong Families Out of Conflict
  • Mark  Chinn Photo
    Mark Chinn
    Jackson Divorce & Family Lawyer Founder of Chinn & Associates, Mark A. Chinn is a seasoned Jackson, Mississippi family law attorney who has dedicated his career to helping clients through some of the most difficult times in their lives. He is dedicated to using his talent and experience to empower his clients to lead the lives they want to lead. Mark graduated from Iowa State University with his undergraduate degree in 1975 and went on to obtain his Law Degree from the University of Mississippi ...

What Makes Our Firm Unique?

Fortitude. Dedication. Integrity.
  • Strategizing Using Your Goals

    We work closely with clients to ensure that our trial strategy reflects their objectives. The goal is to give them everything necessary to move forward securely.

  • Caps on Our Legal Fees

    Chinn & Associates, PC puts caps on how much your case will cost, ensuring that your team finds the most efficient and effective solution possible.

  • Meticulous Trial Preparation

    Our firm utilizes specific witness scripts, thorough research, and in-house drafting of decrees to ensure that we are well-prepared long before your trial starts.

  • Mission-Oriented Law Practice

    When you turn to Chinn & Associates, PC, you're paying for results. That's how we've structured our prices, so you'll have a speedy and efficient solution.


See How We've Helped 
Families Regain Their Strength
    They are the BEST!

    “I can't thank Mark and Janeah enough for all that they did for me. Mark is very knowledgeable, honest, caring, trustworthy, and devoted. Mark and Janeah both helped me through a difficult time in my ...”

    - Former Client
    Working with Mark was an incredible experience

    “Working with Mark was an incredible experience. He was knowledgeable, took his time with us and was calm but aggressive with his approach when necessary. He advised us on every step and because of him ...”

    - Former client who obtained custody of his daughter.
    Veteran Filing Divorce

    “I reached out to Chinn & Associates after consulting with several other offices. My first consultation set the tone for how things would progress with my divorce. He was attentive, logical in his ...”

    - Leroy
    If ever anyone is in need of a family law attorney, Chinn & Associates will certainly take the time and care that you need.!

    “There are not enough words to express how grateful I am to Mark and his associate Janeah for their hard work and dedication not only to my case but to my family personally. Not only were they ...”

    - Allison G.
    They made sure that my voice heard and that I felt at ease with all the decisions that were made!

    “Mark and Janeah were wonderful. They helped me through the very stressful divorce process. They made sure that my voice heard and that I felt at ease with all the decisions that were made. They ...”

    - Tashana C.

Contact Us

Let Our Team Guide You
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.