Jackson Divorce & Family Lawyer
Founder of Chinn & Associates, Mark A. Chinn is a seasoned Jackson, Mississippi family law attorney who has dedicated his career to helping clients through some of the most difficult times in their lives. He is dedicated to using his talent and experience to empower his clients to lead the lives they want to lead.
Through his 45 plus years in practice, Mark has seen it all. Early in his legal career, he worked in every area of law, but soon realized his skillset and personal mission in life matched perfectly with family law. Mark has met with considerable success in this arena, helping clients with the most complex divorce and family law matters with grace and tenacity. He has authored and co-authored six books on family law, is a frequent lecturer and speaker on this subject, and has received numerous accolades from respected publications and legal rating entities. Mark’s books are all published by the American Bar Association and they include, The Divorce Paralegal Handbook (2023); How to Build and Manage a Family Law Practice (2nd Ed. 2018); Forms, Checklists and Procedures for the Family Lawyer (2nd Ed. 2021) and The Constructive Divorce (2007)); Mark has authored chapters in How to Capture and Keep Clients (2005) and 101+ Practical Solutions for the Family Lawyer.
Mark graduated from Iowa State University with his undergraduate degree in 1975 and went on to obtain his Law Degree from the University of Mississippi in 1978. He is admitted to practice in all Mississippi courts, the Fifth and Seventh Circuits, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Some notable distinctions include:
- Top 50 Lawyers in Mississippi by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Best Family Law Firm in Mississippi by Corporate INTL Magazine
- Mid-South Super Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Martindale-Hubbell’s Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Selected from Mississippi for membership into the Outstanding Lawyers of America
Mark and his wife, Cathy, have been married since 1978 and have four daughters and four grandchildren. Mark has a black belt in karate and kickboxing and is a 20-year veteran of rugby. He is also a private pilot and enjoys golf and weightlifting.
- United States Supreme Court
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi
- State of Mississippi, License to Practice Law
- Juris Doctor, University of Mississippi Law Center, 1978
- Bachelor of Arts, Iowa State University, 1975 (Political Science)
Specific Areas of Expertise:
- Family Law: Our firm helps families with family problems such as divorce, modification, contempt, guardianships, youth court matters, support, and paternity.
- Motivational and educational speaking: Mark presents all over the United States and Canada to various groups of lawyers and bar associations on the topics of law practice management, marketing, client service, trying skills, and life and practice balance.
- Mark also has expertise in law practice management, marketing, client service, and trial skills.
Honors & Awards:
- Award of Merit, Presented by the Mississippi Bar once each year in recognition of distinguished service and valuable contributions to the public and the profession as a Bar volunteer. 1996
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, presented by Martindale-Hubbell®, each year since 1998. Perfect 5.0 AV Preeminent® rating. According to the publishers, this publication by the World’s most respected lawyer rating service, lists only the most distinguished law practices.
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2001 to present. More than 350,000 individual evaluations are processed with the simple question, “If you had a close friend or relative who needed a (family lawyer), and you could not handle the case yourself…to whom would you refer them?”
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, 2006 to present. According to the publisher, only 5% of the lawyers in a state are named. This is not a popularity contest, but ratings backed by considerable polling and peer evaluation efforts with a detailed research process on each candidate based on 12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement. A series of safeguards is built into the database.
- Outstanding Lawyers of America, 2003 to present with only 100 selected per state.
- Business Integrity Award Finalist, 2004, Mississippi Business Journal
- Mississippi Bar Foundation
- Lawyer Citizenship Award presented by the Mississippi Bar, for outstanding service to his community and the Legal Profession, 2014
- Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project Pro Bono Volunteer Award, honoring dedication and Pro Bono service 2011.
Current Professional Organization Memberships & Service
- American Bar Association, Member of the Governing Counsel for two terms; Parliamentarian, 2008, long term member of the Publications Board, responsible for publications by the section.
- Mississippi Bar Association, member of numerous committees including Two-time Chair of the Family Law Section, Solo and Small Firm Practice Committee, Ethics Committee, Client Relations Committee, Women in the Profession Committee, Fee Dispute Resolution Committee
- Hinds County Bar Association, President, 98-99
- University of Mississippi Law School Alumni Association
- Lamar Order, University of Mississippi Law Alumni Association, Chair, 2006
- Mark had been inducted into the American Bar Association Foundation, a Global Society of Lawyers and Judges advancing justice and the understanding of law. Invitation is limited to the top 1% of U.S. Lawyers. Selection is recognition of a lawyer whose career has demonstrated outstanding dedication to the highest principles of the legal profession and to the welfare of society.
Past Memberships & Service
- Faculty, ABA Family Law Section Trial Advocacy Institute–a week long institute for trial training for family lawyers. (2008)
- Master of the Bench in the Charles Clark American Inn of Court–an organization of leading lawyers and Judges dedicated to advancing civility and competence in the legal profession.
- Vice Chair of the Supreme Court’s Gender Fairness Task Force–dedicated to evaluating gender in the legal profession and recommending improvements to the Supreme Court
- Mississippi to the Children’s Justice Task Force–appointed by Governor Ronnie Musgrove to serve on task force dedicated to improving the service of the justice system to children, particularly in the areas of abuse prevention and treatment.
- Mark was appointed chairperson of the Mississippi Bar Committee on Collaborative Law for 2021 to 2023 which authored and recommended rules for collaborative law in Mississippi.