Helping Families Regain Their Strength
Divorce Mediation Attorney in Jackson, MS
Madison & Rankin Counties Mediation Services
In the flood of recent discussions about tort reform and the many areas in which our legal system needs changing, the word “mediation” was conspicuous by its absence.
What Is Divorce Mediation?
Mediation is an alternative to the traditional legal process which, without exception, takes too much time, costs too much money, and gets too little done. Problems with the traditional legal system have spawned a new wave of attorney “humor.” We tell jokes about attorneys, but when problems arise in our families or businesses, we hand them our lives, finances, and children. Make sense? No.
The failures of the traditional legal system are most evident in dealing with family issues. In response to this need, Chinn & Associates has a mediated divorce process which empowers clients to identify and settle the issues involved in divorce.
Find out more about mediation from a team of professionals in Madison & Rankin Counties. Call Chinn & Associates at (601) 202-5594!
The Benefits of Mediation for Your family
Mediation is a more efficient method of settling the difficult issues which arise during separation or divorce. A mediator is a neutral party who works to negotiate the issues related to the divorce process. The parties maintain control of what issues get settled first and the final terms of the agreement.
Mediation is not just for couples who are divorcing. A mediator can help establish a temporary agreement for couples who are separated, but who have not made a final decision to terminate their marriage.
The objectives of a divorce mediator are:
- To complete divorce in an ordered and controlled process, preferably in one day of mediation.
- To avoid the cost and difficulty of litigation (court).
- To tailor settlements to the needs of the parties and their children.
- To foster a constructive resolution of issues in ways that promote the family.
- To conduct the divorce process in a way that promotes the interests and rights and healthy development of the children of divorce.
How Much Does Divorce Mediation Cost in Mississippi?
Mediation costs less than the traditional process. A traditional divorce – in which the negotiation takes place between two adversarial lawyers – can cost the couple on average $27,000 or more. Mediation can settle the issues often for substantially less cost and a fraction of the time. In mediated divorce, the parties determine how long the process will take. There is no waiting on a court docket with a mediator.
A Jackson divorce mediation attorney may be needed to finalize an agreement in court. However, with a mediated agreement, a party hands the attorney a specific job, instead of turning over his entire life to be picked apart in mounting billable hours. Every year, many couples finalize their own divorces without the assistance of an attorney. The Chinn & Associates mediated divorce process gives our clients the information to empower them to decide how involved an attorney needs to be in the process.
How Long Does a Mediated Divorce Take?
While every case is different, you can expect your sessions to last approximately two to six months depending on the complexity of the issues at hand. Coming in with the right mindset and the willingness to comprise may reduce the amount of time needed significantly.
When Is Divorce Mediation Right for Me?
Depending on the situation, mediation may be the right answer for your divorce. This may be true if:
- You want to resolve divorce-related issues in a civilized and respectful manner.
- You want to co-parent your children with your partner and want to preserve a friendly relationship to do so.
- You want to protect your children from the stress of a litigated divorce.
- You and your partner have family members and friends that you both want to stay connected with.
- You want to maintain more control over decisions related to your divorce, including custody, support, and property division.
- You want to be able to use more creative solutions to resolve all matters related to your divorce, rather than the limited arrangements that may be available through litigation, when decided upon by a judge.
Perhaps you are thinking, “This is fine for couples who agree, but my divorce is going to be a war.” Mediation is not just for people who agree on everything. Mediation removes much of the adversarial red tape that escalates the hostility involved in divorce. Mediation provides an even playing field for two parties to present their positions and maintain control of the outcome of the “war,” instead of letting attorneys and judges control the results of the fight. And if you can have the same fight for one-fourth of the cost in time and money, doesn’t it make sense?
We are among the best divorce mediation attorneys in Jackson and are ready to see how we can assist you. Contact Chinn & Associates today to get started!
Founder of Chinn & Associates, Mark A. Chinn is a seasoned Jackson, Mississippi family law attorney who has dedicated his career to helping clients through some of the most difficult times in their lives. He is dedicated to using his talent and experience to empower his clients to lead the lives they want to lead.Read More
“I am forever grateful” - Linda
“Make that call before you blink” - JMPOP