To Hold Someone in Contempt for Not Paying Medical Bills, You Have to Show They Knew About the Bill

Our firm counsels its clients to send a copy of any medical bill to the other party, requesting reimbursement in writing. It is good to get in the habit of doing this right away with any medical bill, as well as any other child support expense for which reimbursement is sought. With e-mail, there is proof of the sending and receipt of the bill. Sending the bill in writing is a good way to lay a predicate for later court action. A person cannot be held in contempt for failure to pay a medical bill unless there is evidence the person is informed of the bill. MCKNIGHT v. JENKINS, NO. 2011-CT-00206-SCT (decided 2/14/13)
Related Posts
  • Interview with Mark Chinn - Evolving With The Times Podcast Read More
  • When you appeal and when you might get sent back before the very same judge Read More
  • Inherited property may be separate, but it’s not completely safe Read More